Just a blog from a gay man. My View. I hope you will enjoy

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

What it was like to be a gay teen in the 1980's

Life for a gay teen in the 1980's.


Wow this is a statement. In a nutshell HELL. In 1979 I was 12. For some reason I knew that I was different. I knew I had a "Crush" on this man that worked at a store. When I had a "fantasy" about him I freaked out BIG time. I actually forgot about that memory for years. However I did know then I was a FAG but at the same denied it.

Growing up is hard enough. When your gay its hell on earth. I had nobody talk too in an honest way. I am sure this was like most places . However I did not know any openly gay people at all. There were rumors of cousins but I never saw them.

In 1981 I went to a church camp for a week. It was my LAST TIME. Wow this was an eye opener. This camp love to have sermons that sounded like a KKK rally. What I remember the most was that at this camp was that Jewish people were going to hell and that gays were going too.


Well I thought they were crazy. The only thing missing was a sheet and a burning cross. I was glad when the week ended. After that shit I never wanted to be around CHURCH people again.

Well less then 2 years later AIDS became a hot topic. AS far as the general public was consenered "Gay people were asking for AIDS". This was all that I herd from teacher preachers and even parents. Well going through puberty and hearing this makes one hate gay people even if your gay yourself. By the time I was 16 I knew I was gay and I tried so hard not to be gay.By the time I was 20 I developed a drinking problem that lasted for 10 years.

I thought in the 2000's things were getting better. However when a gay teen is killed just because he is gay this reminds me that life is still hard for gay teens.

No comments: